Ensuring local, state, and federal compliance is of deep importance for businesses and is a valuable feature of a good workforce management solution.
Labor laws are constantly changing. You need a workforce management solution to change with them. Parameter-driven, NOVAtime is a flexible solution that will allow your organization to set up and change system rules affecting the calculation of employee time, leave, and pay at any time, without the need for custom code. In addition, our proactive Research and Development team is constantly adding new features to the NOVAtime system to ensure our clients have a compliant system now and in the future.
Avoid Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and Wage and Hour Lawsuits
Standard features in NOVAtime will allow you to track overtime, meal and rest periods, and expenses to avoid common Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and Wage and Hour lawsuits. The system supports:
- Management of exempt and non-exempt employees
- Multiple, complex overtime calculations, including daily, weekly, day-of-week, consecutive day, and weekend overtime, as well as Nevada Overtime. click here to learn more.
- Configurable meal and break periods by shift and penalties for missed meals or breaks to support various federal and state regulations, including California Meal and Break Rules.
- Expense management through employee self-service.
Comply with the Affordable Care Act (ACA)
NOVAtime’s PPACA module allows organizations to effectively monitor full-time and full-time equivalent employees to avoid Affordable Care Act penalties. The module supports:
- Accurate determination of full-time equivalency.
- Definition of the Standard Measurement, Administration, and Stability periods for ongoing employees.
- Definition of Startup, Initial Measurement, Administration, and Stability periods for new employees (as specified by the safe harbor methods).
- Reports showing full-time equivalencies and hours.
To learn more about how an automated workforce management solution like NOVAtime can help with Affordable Care Act compliance, click here.
Comply with Payroll-Based Journal (PBJ) Electronic Reporting for Healthcare
Section 6106 of the Affordable Care Act requires long-term care facilities to electronically submit direct care staffing information through the Payroll-Based Journal (PBJ) of the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS). NOVAtime’s PBJ module was custom developed to meet CMS’s data specifications and supports flat-file import of data into the CMS PBJ system.
To learn how NOVAtime supports ACA reporting requirements for long-term care facilities, check out the following resources:
Manage Leave Management/Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA Requests)
A virtually unlimited number of leave events are supported by the NOVAtime system, with a unique, user-defined leave code assigned to each event. In the system, FMLA leave is set up and tracked as a leave code. The system is capable of tracking the hours an employee has worked towards the 1250-hour requirement for FMLA eligibility and sends a notification when a request exceeds 480 hours.
Stay in Compliance with Various Local and State Sick Leave Laws
NOVAtime’s flexible Leave Management Module supports compliance with various local and state sick leave laws, most notably new sick leave laws enacted in California, Connecticut, and the City of Philadelphia.
click here to learn about California's new sick leave laws. The system supports:
- Configurable accrual calculations based on bargaining units, standard grants (annual), pay period, minimum worked requirements, and levels of service (seniority-based)
- Real-time leave validation at the clock or online.
- User-defined limits and qualifying conditions on the earning and taking of leave time.
- Carryover limits to restrict the amount of time that can be carried over from year to year.